torstai 16. toukokuuta 2019

Biking trip and King's Day

On 24th, I had the Wednesday off again, but I didn't really feel like doing anything super special. I decided to take advantage of the bike, and explore the areas and parks nearby Beijum. And I wasn't disappointed.



Biking is a wonderful way to discover locations you didn't even know about and would not have been able to see if you just went by on public transport. For example, quite spontaneously I managed to find one of the traditional Dutch sights, a windmill!



Although it seems I finished my bike tour just on time; it started thundering at the end of it, and it rained while I was getting some groceries from Aldi. Luckily I made it home dry.



27th was what Dutch call Koningsdag, aka King's Day. A national holiday on the current king's birthday. The weather was lousy, which probably affected the party mood a little bit, but I did eventually go to town to see what I could find.



Anster turned out to be: flags, mainly. Lots of flags.




There were also a good number of people out and about. Mainly the festivities seemed to involve music: there was a bandstand at the Vismarkt market square, and some DJs playing music outside certain cafes, bars and restaurant. Sometimes the streets got so crowded it was hard to get past.



But I appreciate having been around for these cultural events and holidays as well. Shows you a bit broader view of the Dutch life.


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti