tiistai 14. toukokuuta 2019

Leeuwarden

On 15th and 16th at work, the Easter mood was already in full speed. The kids had an Easter hunt for some chocolate eggs hidden in the garden, and we painted some bunny whiskers on for everyone. I later on proceeded to go to a supermarket, having completely forgot I was still having facepaint on. Hope it amused some of my fellow shoppers.

On Wednesday I first did a half-day at work (normally I'd have Wednesdays off, but I wanted to do a half-day on Friday, so...), so I could meet Hennie at a city called Leeuwarden around 15. It's the capital of Friesland, much like Groningen is the capital of the province Groningen. Leeuwarden was also the Cultural Capital of Europe in 2018, and you could still see some signs of that.



Hennie showed me a few places around the city, and we booked a canal cruise. Before the cruise, though, we had time for some afternoon tea. Hennie took me to Brownies & DownieS - a lovely cafe with the idea of offering work and training for people with intellectual disabilities, a concept which I would gladly welcome into Finland as well.



We also visited Museum de Grutterswinkel, which was both a little museum and an old-timey shop, just like it might have been 50 years ago.



Afterwards, we had the canal city tour. When the cities are largely made of canals, you do see a lot if you're on a boat. The guide only spoke Dutch during the tour, but tourists were handed out information sheets in English (German would have also been available, I believe) which had the details of most of the points of interest.



After the tour was over, we were getting a bit hungry, and I wanted to try something that was very Dutch. That's how I was introduced to krokette, which I can only describe as meat stew that has been covered in breadcrumbs and then deep-fried.



After that, it was time to drive back towards Groningen - although we stopped briefly at Drachten to take a look at the new school campus for younger students.



It did look nice, new and modern indeed - I'm sure younger students appreciate it greatly.


We even managed to have a quick peek inside!


But not for too long, as the building was empty and even the cleaner was leaving. And it was getting late anyways, so good time to head home.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti